Saturday, November 21, 2009

Why can't we all just get along?

I'm getting frustrated with being a pc owner in what seems to have become an increasingly mac-friendly world. Especially because I am a pc owner who would describe herself as the opposite of tech savvy.

I have long been a fan of the pc and throughout my 26 years have never owned, or even thought about owning, a mac. But since being back in school, I've started wondering if maybe life would be easier if I just broke down and made the switch.

For instance, the choreographer for a show I did about a month back gave me the dvd of our performance last night. Upon putting it into my computer to watch, however, I discover the dvd won't play. Why is this? I think because the dvd was burned on a mac. The reason I think this is because I've had this problem before. The last time I was finally able to get the dvd to play on my computer after MUCH coaxing and prodding... this alone was enough to make me reconsider my pc loyalties.

The good side of having a pc is that it lasts. I've had this desktop for years; it's made it through one cross-country move and a summer in storage and is still alive and well. My Sony laptop from 2002 is also still in pretty good condition, although I don't use it anymore because if I tried to carry it anywhere the weight of it would surely give me back problems.

However I hear time and time again how much easier life can be with a mac. And as I progress in my career I realize that I can't hide from technology forever.

Basically what it comes down to is that I just wish we could all use the same system, mac or pc, I don't really care. I guess what would make my life easiest would be to pop a dvd into my computer and it playing immediately no matter what operating system it was made on... I'm thinking this probably means I should abandon my loyalties and start saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment